Tuesday, April 20, 2010

And away we go...

Hello! My name is Kelli Ryder. I am 22 years old, and my favorite thing to do is go shopping. I always claimed I didn't have to BUY things, but that is a blatant lie. I thought I just loved to look- I liked to see all the pretty clothes in their pretty display, but no... I love to buy things. I set a budget to buy things. Nothing makes me happier than coming home, with my new things, and arranging them in my pretty and organized closet. In fact, the closet part is as good as the buying. I live to organize my closet. I want each shoe a certain way, each top in it's spot. Don't even get me started on the dresses, as I can't come up with a suitable arrangement so I simply lose sleep trying to figure out where they should go. I'm actually moving soon- and my primary concern for a new place is the closet space. It is not that I am some magnificent fashionista or stylist or any of that. I am a completely normal girl, I like cute clothes, and to be honest I probably look like everyone else out there. I don't have a specific style except for basics. Alright... brakes and reverse. Nothing makes me happier than coming home with not just anything, but with a brand new basic v-neck or tunic top. So... it is beginning to be a problem. How many white v-necks do you need? Apparently, I need about 9. Okay, 14. Unnecessary. As silly as this may sound to someone who doesn't share the same problem, shopping is truly my joy. I love to look at clothes. I want to touch the fabrics and put together outfits and try on dress after dress after dress. It is calming and fun and is my idea of a "long walk on the beach." I don't really like sports. I don't really like to watch TV. I like to shop.... and I like to write.

So the writing part. I wanted to blog. I wanted it to be entertaining. I realized blogs about Brett, Roxy, and how pretty the sunset was the other day were dull and had no point for anyone but myself to read. So here is this blog's "shtick." I, Kelli Ryder, will go 365 days without shopping.

That is correct. A YEAR WITHOUT SHOPPING. Literally. 365 days without a new v-neck, no cutesy sparkly earrings, no strappy $3.00 flip flops. I'm not even kidding. No matter how great the sale, I walk away. No matter how perfect the v in the neck, no matter how comfortable the heel... even if I simply cannot live without it--- I live without it. So, before I wrote my first post, I did my nightly peruse of www.LuLus.com, and as much as I want my friendly, neighborhood UPS man to drop this precious top off on my doorstep,
I cannot. Luckily, I've survived the first 2 weeks... as I started April 1, 2010. Why did I start April 1? Because what...a joke. I am taking my hobby, and removing it from my life. My reasons are literally to just see if I can. Well, and to see if I can put together some hilarious sentences to describe my misery. So I obviously set some ground rules.

GROUND RULES:

1. This ONLY applies to things I wear. Meaning, clothes- of any sort- accessories (jewelry, purses, scarves), and shoes. Beautiful shoes. I am not doing one of those green-living experiments where I don't buy anything. I still will get a little cup of joy from Starbucks, and go see movies, etc... I just will be doing it in all my old clothes.
2. I can receive gifts. I am not rude enough to tell someone "WOW. What sparkly and perfect earrings! No thank you!" That would just be selfish, and thoughtless. And I am just not those things! I obviously can accept gifts... even if that gift would be an entire outfit. And don't worry, if I do happen to accept this gift, I will gladly upload the picture. As I will be so thrilled, there will be no words.
3. I can buy necessities. If, for some reason, I happened to lose my entire sock and underwear drawer, I would be able to buy new socks. And undies. I'm not a savage here. Just a masochist.
4. Workout clothes, jeans, and again- the perfect high heel, do not count as necessities.
5. I can make my own "new" clothes. I can cut up and re-sew old clothes, add flowers, whatever. And because of this, I will allow periodic trips to the craft store. However, I work so often that I won't have time to update this daily- I probably won't have time to cruise through Hobby Lobby trying to find something to rig as a headband.
6. At the end of this, I get to go on a fun trip and shop away... April 1, 2011. No plan as to where, or whether I will be buying 500 v-necks or a beautiful Chanel... regardless. It will be a joyous day.



SO while I can be wordy, I also can be pretty funny. I will post lots of new pictures, and will relish in any ideas my reader (readers?) will have for posts. I live to shop... But I guess now I live to practice self control. So away we go and it is time to Stop Shopping. (StopShop. At first, I really thought it was a funny pun, but now it is simply a reminder to set my web browser to block access to www.TopShop.com). SO I pose you with this dear reader... (I hope eventually I can write readers...ssss....): Do you think I'll make it? Your good friend, Old Clothes Kelli.

11 comments:

~*~ amanda ~*~ said...

Good luck, Kelli. And, in order to be a good friend and role model to you, I will begrudgingly take on some of your slack. That's right, I will make some extra shopping trips so that the blow to the economy isn't catastrophic. Just because I care. :)

Kristina said...

I'm rooting for you, Kelli! I will be faithfully reading. And, if it helps to know this, I am on a similar type of anti-shopping track... so I can sympathize if need be. :) Good luck!

Taylor Dury said...

Kelli!! You have inspired me and I'm thinking of trying the same thing... Although I will read the blog for a bit to see how you're holding up!! :)

Meredith said...

I. LOVE. IT.

AND....

YOU.CAN.DO.IT.

LOVE,
MER

Mandy said...

Wow... Only word I can think of. Atta girl, one question, will you continue to compulsively rearrange your closet? Hahahaha I will see you soon milady but this sounds like it will be thoroughly entertaining, what a smart idea.

destination262 said...

Kel - What an ambitious adventure! I believe in you!! :) When you get to a desperate point you can do a clothing swap with your friends - those are always fun. Then it's like shopping without spending money!

Jenn said...

If I start May 1st, can I be your guest blogger?

Kiersten said...

In the past I have not been a big "blogger" however after reading your blog this afternoon, I officially became a "follower".
I can't wait to see how this adventure unfolds but I am sure it will be definitely entertaining.
GOOD LUCK! and from one shopper to another I will be praying for you! ;)

belynda said...

This sounds fun and inspirational! Good luck!

beth f said...

i saw this on amanda's facebook and i'm completely flabbergasted! you amaze me and i can't wait to hear all about it! good luck!

Lisa Love said...

I'm with you on that... the most important aspect of my house, no matter where I live, is the closet space... wow people have no food are are forced to drink contaminated water in haiti, but I'm concerned about how big my closet is.

I was actually thinking of doing a blog like this, I commend you and hope you reach your goal!:)