Monday, May 17, 2010

Whelmed.

I think today would be a fabulous chance to use the word "whelmed." You know in the movie "10 Things I Hate About You," when Bianca's sassy friend says "you can be overwhelmed, and underwhelmed... but can you just be whelmed?" I think you definitely can, because I totally am. In the past week, I've been searching Boise high and low for a new home. That is right, after nearly 22 years and 11 months, I'm moving.

You see, I've lived in the same house my entire life. When I graduated high school, I thought "Hmm, my dad is a great roommate!" and I never moved out. About 2 years later, he said "I'm getting married!" and he packed up his books and motorcycles and moved to Emmett. I was lucky enough to live in this home all through college, and this last spring.

A lot of fashion do's and don'ts went down in this house. I didn't wear JEANS until like 3rd grade. No really, I only wore dresses and skirts. I learned the wrong way to put on makeup in this house, as my early junior high photos would prove. I got ready for school dances at this house, one of which included a tie dyed tube top and crimped hair- and sadly no, I'm not referring to a Decades Dance. It was Spring Fling. Woopsie! I left the house in a million skirts that my dad thought were too short and I thought were WAY too long. Even as I type this, I'm at home... and I'm wearing an array of pajama type items which probably are cute on their own, but definitely not meant to be worn all at once. But it's cold.

It is not that I don't want to move, I am thrilled. I can't wait to start fresh. It is just that I LOVE my home. I mean... Look At This.
A comfy bed, a remodeled bathroom, ample closet space, soft blankets, and a kitty. I guess a majority of this stuff is relocatable but UGH!

SO, on June 1, new tenants will live here and I will live.... ?

Good. Question. So, I am underwhelmed because I know I have a ton of stuff to do coming in the next two weeks, but I don't really have to do it YET. I can start packing, but without the future address set in stone, I don't want to. So I feel like I have nothing to do. On the other hand, I'm overwhelmed because O M G- where am I going to live? I think the under and over combo of whelmed is causing me to be really disheveled, not very funny, and awkwardly motivated. In my normal life, I would find a sense of calm by going shopping.

But I can't. So, instead of browsing the mall, I go on runs outside and do yoga. Which is fantastic and I'm starting to feel great. But, I still haven't found the same sense of relaxation I'd find by looking through a BCBG sale in Dillard's. On days where I'd normally just go to the mall, grab a Wetzel's, and wander... I can't. So I'm really out of sorts here.

I have quite a few appointments tomorrow to look at places, so hopefully by the time most of you read this- a security deposit will be down SOMEWHERE, and most importantly- I'll know what my future closet size is going to be.

A side note- I'm moving in with him:

Which, despite my emotions in the photo, is truly, truly the most exciting thing in my life to date. However, it means one terrible thing. I have to share a closet. Please, please, please Rental Gods, let us find a place with his and hers walk ins!!

In approximately 12 days, I will say goodbye to the house that stored every fashion trend I've ever gone through- from ruffled dresses, to baby pink denim capris, to trucker hats and mini skirts. I will say so long to the house that sent me on my way to every awkward school dance. And I'll say goodbye to the place I know as home.

Hopefully this weird transition period will go quickly, and I'll get back to updating the blog regularly. But right now, I'm so freaking whelmed I just don't think I have anything to write about. To make this post worth it for you, here is a picture of one of my best fashion trends, the punk girl:
...and with THAT, I'll say goodnight :-)

2 comments:

John and Debi said...

Kelli, I've been so busy lately that I have not taken the time to reflect on your upcoming move. I guess I'm a little whelmed myself when I stop and think about what a terrific home our family had together. It will very difficult the first time I pull into the driveway to do a little maintenance and you don't live there. We certainly created a million wonderful memories over the years, your departure from your childhood home will be a sad one for me.
With all my love and respect. Papa

Meredith said...

Oh, Kel, your punk days.....! I remember when I attempted for about a week to follow suit, but Dickie pants never came in my long leg size. I didn't think punk rock and flood pants went all that well together. :)

I love ya girl!