Thursday, November 11, 2010

Life is Too Short!

For those of you who've read all of my posts, you know I've got a little thing for "basics." I love white v-necks, I love Uggs, I love jean shorts. Granted, not all together. I'm not really down with the Uggs and bare legs look, but still. I like plain things. I also make purchases based on how often I intend to wear the garment. "Where could I wear it?" "What shoes/pants/jewelry could I pair this with?" "Is it work appropriate?" "Do I have anything similar to it already?" This question/answer session each time I shopped has resulted in a PAINFULLY LACKLUSTER WARDROBE. I know, because I have been forced to pick and choose from the same items since April 1. Barf, dude.

I honestly don't think you understand how hard this is. I understand some people don't worry about clothes. But ever since I was little, I have had this desire to be that girl. The one who is impeccably dressed and fabulous. Sort of like my Grandma Edith :) And the fact of the matter is, I am just not that girl. I don't think I ever have been. I am pretty normal. I stay within the fashion bounds. I wear what is comfortable and basic and wearable. I AM BORING. And I am pretty sick of it.

I am so sick of it to the point where I literally hate what I am wearing every-day-of-the-week. Hate. Like, I leave the house miserable. I could not tell you the last time I thought, "I look awesome." You know the feeling- when you're rocking your favorite jeans, your tallest heels, and your hair looks like a commercial. I mean... thank you SO much Dez (@Graebers) for helping with the hair part. Because without that, I feel like I don't currently have much else. I am so sick of my boring clothes!

SO, here is my pledge...

After April 1, I refuse to make another boring purchase. I flat out refuse. Life is too short to hate what you're wearing, it really is. So bring on the embellishments, the impractical shoes, and the dress I may only wear once. My closet is BEGGING for some MAJOR MOMENTS and I promise you, dear closet, you'll get them. My first purchase is going to be oozing with glamour, and I am going to make fashion my full time job. Because clearly it makes me happy, and feeling awesome makes me happy... and right now, my closet is making me flat-out unhappy.

So HA.

P.S. OK OK OK. I probably will still buy white v-necks. But you bet your bottoms I'll be pairing them with over the top necklaces and some killer wedges. Particularly, these:

10 comments:

~*~ amanda ~*~ said...

LOVE the wedges. And, as every fashion-advice-what-not-to-wear-oprah-special tv show will tell you: if you don't LOVE IT, give it away!! We could use the extra closet space anyway.

Delphine said...

Hi Kellianne,

I am a Features Editor for Swide and I would like to know offer you the possibility to contribute to it by writing an article about your blog and your no shopping mission.

Please drop me in an email at delphine.hervieu@dolcegabbana.it.

Cheers,

Delphine Hervieu.

Delphine said...

Hi Kellianne,

I am a Features Editor for Swide and I would like to know offer you the possibility to contribute to it by writing an article about your blog and your no shopping mission.

Please drop me in an email at delphine.hervieu@dolcegabbana.it.

Cheers,

Delphine Hervieu.

Anonymous said...

Kelli!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you!
Aunt Donna

BreanneD said...

I know exacttlly how you feel. you should go purchase or just look at NYLON magazings publications of just street wear. So much bizzare fashion inspiration that makes our every day get ups look BORING as hell. Its fun :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just got here because of a link your brother posted on FB. Prettty cool blog and awesome challenge you're going through.

Now, you can't buy new clothes but how about changing the ones you got? Get some scissors. Get a sewing machine. DYI girl. Make your skirts shorter, dye some white shirts a different color. Start with those items you're about to give to Goodwill, so you're not sad if you mess it up.
A good start can be this book called "100 ways to change a T-shirt."

Congrats on your blog!
Carolina

Laura Parsons said...

Kelli,

Maybe it's just my Psych degree talking, but perhaps you aren't fully aware of your adorableness regardless of your clothing! Every time I've seen you you HAVE been "that" girl, not just because you look super cute, but because you have a wonderful bubbly, positive attitude, obvious integrity and genuine regard for the well being of others. This blog is amazing in so many ways, primarily how honest you are with yourself, which again proves your fabulousness. Keep your head up girl, and keep swimming. I am convinced that when you DO get to shop again, it will be for different reasons than it was before. You won't be soothing your self, you'll be celebrating her.

Thank you for being so inspiring...

Laura

Anonymous said...

Carolina speaks the truth. DIY is where it's at. No shopping needed.

Check these sites out:
http://www.threadbanger.com/

http://diystyle.net/blog/

Even goodies for people without sewing machines!
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/08/do-it-yourself-fashion.php

-J Ryde

Kristina said...

Kelli I have to disagree with your stance on this. As we both know I am clearly in 1 corner of the issue, but even beyond that I have to say that while life is too short, it also sucks to be poor and have only horribly outdated clothing. I have recently gained a little bit more of an interest in fashion from my good friend Rachel Zoe (whom I'm sure you have an opinion on) so you can take this advice or leave it. Here it is: it is great to have fun, exciting pieces, but don't blow a bunch of money on something super-trendy. Buy the cheap version and then you won't care if you only wear it once. The great thing is that there are stores out there great for picking up crazy pieces for a cheap price. When it comes to items you want to have in 10 years, spend your money on a classic high quality piece that you love. But classic does not have to equal boring!!!
That is my two cents!
-Tina

Lisa Love said...

totally agree with the uggs and bare legs things- I think that is my least favorite trend, actually its a pet peeve of mine because it absolutely makes no sense lol