Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Journey vs. Destination.

Here we are, 3 days left. Could I be more excited? NOPE. I really couldn't, this is thrilling. I have gone 362 days without shopping? MAGNIFICENT. Unbelievable. And SO glad it is nearly over. Why? Because I accomplished something that I never thought I would accomplish. And I'll be honest, it wasn't really as hard as I thought. It was just a matter of willpower.

So, the next couple of days- I will be treating you all to something called a Vlog (I think). No, it is not a disease or anything. It is a Video Blog. Maybe I'll just call it a Video Blog...Vlog makes my tummy hurt. Anyways, I am out of things to write about. That, or I am simply TOO EXCITED that I can't breathe and don't feel like writing. So I'd rather TALK, which is something I am super good at.

I am boarding a jet plane on THURSDAY and pointing it towards San Diego, California. I will video blog as often as possible... and there will be a cameo from BFF Rachel (whether she agrees or not). I thought this would be a fun way to end the year, and also an EASY way to show you everything I buy.

I also have a few announcements coming... but maybe I'll save those for next week. Needless to say, things are BLOWING UP this last week and I am stoked. Floating on a cloud.

So, with 3 days left... I find myself wondering what I've actually accomplished here. Is it the journey- the year without shopping, that I am excited about- or the destination. April 1, 2011... shop until I drop? You would think in this case, the destination wins. But NOPE. Believe it or not, this cliched blog post is about the journey...

A few years ago, I was driving up to Moscow, ID for a wedding. I don't know if anyone has made that drive, but I find the farmland BEAUTIFUL. I wanted to stop and take pictures, but the driver insisted we had to get there as quick as possible.  In fact, we were speeding so that we could get just past Moscow- to Spokane aka Nordstrom Rack. You know, we had to get some shopping in BEFORE the weekend began. So I guess this was a journey to shop. We were driving WAY too fast, I was carsick, I didn't get to take ANY pictures... and we got to Nordstrom Rack... and I found NOTHING I liked. So we went to regular Nordstrom, and again... everything SUCKED. The salesgirl was hellbent on me buying this stupid romper because she was wearing the same one and OMGWASNTITCUTE??? Nope, it sucked. We could have had an enjoyable roadtrip, but instead it was awful (full of fighting the entire time, um red flag anyone??)... and it wasn't even worth it at the end.

I mean, I get it, I am stretching it here. The metaphor is too literal. BUT IT IS A TRUE STORY, which I think is a nice touch. Anyways, yeah.... I am finally here- I finally will be able to shop. And that rocks. But more so, it rocks what I did. I don't care if I am bragging, I accomplished something that people said I was crazy to do. I DID IT. I didn't slip up, I was never found in a pile of jeans foaming at the mouth. I learned that I can do ANYTHING I choose, as long as I set my mind to it and have self control. The amount of willpower and self control I have is A LOT stronger than I gave myself credit for, which I think is pretty cool.

So basically, yeah, I may or may not be standing outside of H&M Friday morning, waiting for them to let me in. But the rest of my life, I won't remember every single shopping trip. Nope, but I WILL remember that time I went a year without shopping, and I'll be pretty proud of myself!

3 comments:

Cambry said...

Wow Kelli! So proud of you! A year is such a long time to go without shopping. Can't wait to see all your fabulous finds on your first shopping trip back in! :)

Lizzy said...

Good job Kelli! And I love that you put Moscow in it! Love the rolling hills

Andrea said...

You have taken us all on a pretty cool journey, Kelli! It has inspired me to think differently about the things I enjoy. You will rock San Diego -savor it!